Lead Software Developer
Bringing Broadband Internet to Rural Communities, by bridging research with impact.
De Novo Group is a California-based, 503(c)3 non-profit organization.
We develop solutions and technology to deliver affordable Internet to rural communities.
At the heart of our technology is an Open-Source software suite we developed called Celerate, to manage large fixed-wireless networks. Celerate manages all aspects of network operations – from customer billing to network monitoring and innovative routing solutions for traffic optimization. We also develop and maintain an Android app coupled with Celerate that is used by field technicians to install and maintain equipment.
The VP of R&D will work directly with our CTO and COO to continuously innovate and evolve Celerate. We are moving elements of business and operations management out of Celerate, through integration with off-the-shelf solutions. Our focus shifts to novel network control aspects, network-inventory management, real-time monitoring abilities and refinement of the technical support and installation processes.
The VP of R&D will also conduct cutting-edge computer networks research and propose innovative solutions.
Our software development approach is a highly iterative rapid development cycle.
Applicants should be comfortable working independently. He/she will also work alongside and guide our network administration team in India (IST time zone). This team plays a key role in informing development, priorities, and are familiar with all aspects of our development and tools.
- Direct and professionally guide our technical team in India
- Evaluate and update our software development methodologies and environments
- (Celerate is currently using Node.JS (Meteor) and MongoDB)
- Stay up-to-date, through self-learning, on latest software development methodologies and tools, in order to best inform our choices
- Architect to accommodate growth, performance, scalability and continuity.
- (Predominantly cloud-based systems, with locally-deployed probes and network “middle-boxes” – interconnected through VPNs)
- Study and evaluate off-the-shelf tools and solutions (both open source and commercial) to augment our technology and avoid redundant development
- Maintain and evolve our vast, existing, code base (and retire parts that are no longer of value)
- Remotely manage our compute cluster – A Proxmox + Ceph, highly redundant cluster, for generic workloads that need local access to traffic (latency-sensitive probes, middle-boxes, etc.)
Skills and qualifications
- Strong understanding and experience with computer networks – ideally in an ISP environment
- Extensive experience with Linux system administration and deployment/integration of Open-Source tools
- Diversified and extensive software development experience
- Familiarity with network monitoring and management tools
- Well organized, methodical and with great attention to details
- Past experience working in a WISP (Wireless ISP) environment is a strong advantage
- Experience and good instincts for managing technical projects and people
We care about work-life balance, and effective collaboration. This is a long-term engagement that only works if we enjoy collaborating and are productive together. Candidate must be:
- Self driven, and takes ownership
- Innovative and excited about solving novel challenges
- Enthusiastic about our social mission
Please use this form and also submit (using the form):
- A detailed CV
- A 2 – 4 minute video on why you are interested in this role and feel you are the best candidate for this job. The video and audio quality are not important – it’s the content that should be well thought out – an authentic expression of your interest in this job.
Please Note: We are only recruiting for this position outside the USA.